When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sustainable Development

Are we going to make it as a species?

Last weekend I was invited to attend a gathering to raise awareness about Sustainable Development. After reading "Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight" by Thom Hartmann, I've been drawn to this subject. There were many performances and speeches at the gathering by young adults, one in particular was quite clever - a percussion performance using recycled items. For me, this video shown was stirring enough to warrant this post. It was given in 1992 by a 12 year old girl at the UN earth summit. I am glad to be able to share the video here.

And this movie is also worth your while - HOME.

Here's a thought that occurred to me today. When was the last time any of us touched our planet? I mean physically touched it perhaps by walking barefoot or reaching out to a tree, putting our toes in the ocean. I haven't for a while now... I am guilty of taking this planet for granted. My own home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awakening speech by the 12 yo
V always could do sumthing
Starting small