When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Monday, April 28, 2008

A Momentary Terrorist

I am on Alaska Airlines flight 708 returning to LAX from Vancouver. The expectation had been that I would board Alaska Airlines flight 607 departing at 530pm, and the expectation would have been fulfilled if I had not come under heavy suspicion of being a suicidal terrorist at immigration. I am not upset at the US immigration officials in Vancouver airport for causing me to miss my flight by keeping my travel items under close scrutiny and myself under interrogation for a solid two and a half hours. It was not their fault that my story played much like a terrorist's and the funny thing is that as I listened to my own story I couldn't help but groan inwardly at my increasing awareness of the officials mounting conviction that I intended to hijack the plane and crash it into the Seattle Space Needle after takeoff. A few factors contributed to Gao's (the official) excitement at the prospect of himself becoming a hero in the eyes of his peers after busting me wide open and then handing me over to the FBI:

1. my brand new Canadian passport replacing a lost one
2. the fact that I made the decision to quit my job and leave sunny California for no sensible reason, exiting on a one way ticket to Malaysia without any significant career purpose
3. that I was going to Spain for 30 days on the 30th of April to rendesvouz with someone that I had met on a trip to Malaysia a year and a half ago
4. that I had a CD in my luggage called Dub Qawali by Nusrah Fateh Ali Khan which looked menacingly like fanatical brain washing by some sort of muslim extremist mullah
5. that I had among my possessions a slip of paper entitled “No Fear” in capital letters and listing out strategic on court instructions for advancing my tennis game. In bullet form were words such as “stay aggressive”, “take the ball early” etc. It looked remarkably like motivational instructions for storming an airplane cockpit.

Gao ran all kinds of background checks on me and my itinerary, the moving company that I had engaged, the friend that I was meeting. As a final measure he even borrowed two of my music CDs and listened to then researched their content. I was impressed at his dedication and the more time I spent with him, the more I admired his professionalism. At the end of our interaction, as the veil of suspicion fell away, he broached the hint of a sheepish apologetic smile as we called me forward to return all my Ids, paperwork and other evidence that he had accumulated. Though bemused and entertained, I was glad to part as another innocuous journeyman desiring passage.

Gao you deserve a medal for your efforts, I thank you for your orchestration of this journal entry and I also thank you that the rubber gloves you put on were strictly for the purpose of sifting through my baggage and nothing else. :)

2 comments:

Gavchia said...

Hey Aaron, you have a good and safe trip. I've enjoyed reading your blog. Keep blogging.
Take care bro.

daelynn said...

oh aaron.. I've just had access to the internet with your contacts at hand:) I"ve read thru your more current blogs and i'm jealous at your adventure. Amazing. your first blogs are hilarious. I've just laughed out loud.. still chuckling. I could only imagine. Picturing you of all people "under interrogation". it's great. Your trip was destined from the beginning to grow you ..

I'm opening a new teavana in Fashion Valley come the end of that month.. so i'm at home now.. :) sorting thru resumes and applications. My first interviews for the new store starting tonite at 4pm.

I just recently got married (august16) and although sooner than planned (you can understand though.. we don't have much control 'eh?) found our i'm due with a little one in mid June:)My husband and I are really excited and are praying for safe delivery and carrying. I've lost a child earlier in my "rebellious years" and trust the Lord will do as he wills with the one already forming.. He should have a heartbeat just now:)
He gives, and He takes. He has all the right. For He created us eh? What are your thoughts?

It was a pleasure each time you came into the store. I'll have you know. Peaceful and genuine. I regret I may not have always been at my best and do apologize. It is good for me to see these things.. knowing. Every moment in new.. it can be different.

I trust you are. Being kept by an engrossing world.

enjoy the travels for those of us.. giving time at our local destiny.
be well.

daelynn.. now a Romo (that tea girl in mission. )