When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Rearranging furniture

Last night I had a rough time sleeping because my mind would not stop rearranging the furniture in my friend's apartment. I normally sleep easily, I Ascend and then sleep comes quickly. But recently my father just quit his job at his company. He is now retired and yesterday I heard my parents speaking about money like it was life giving blood, a precious commodity in order to qualify oneself as alive. I was unsettled by what seemed to me as an attitude of scarcity.

With the end of expatriation, my parents are now leaving China and moving back to Malaysia. Though they didn't request it, I knew it would be time for me to move to a new place. I was quite content to do so, I've been missing a place of my own self-expression for a long time. The obvious choice was my best friend's apartment since he would be moving out around that time to a bigger home with the arrival of his third child.

There is also the shock that the center that I'm learning Tai Chi and yoga at is closing down at the end of this week. I've grown quite accustomed to that place, and I've made quite a few friendships with the instructors there. It's been a sort of refuge to interrupt the frenetic daily routine between work and home,... well really whenever it is raining and I cannot play tennis. Now I will seek to find a new place to learn yoga and Tai Chi. I intend to continue somehow with the Tai Chi instructor - Master Lee.

That residual seed of fear from the conversation earlier in the day must have taken root, and fertilized by the disconcerting news of the Tai Chi and yoga center closing down sprouted into a tree in my mind as I lay in bed . All the signs of an upheaval had me struggling with the sails of my ship, a storm had caught me and I suppose I was clamoring for landfall somewhere. No matter how much I tried to setup the furniture in my friend's apartment, it just never seemed to have the proper arrangement for me.

I wonder if this means it is not my destiny to be living at my friend's apartment.

No comments: