When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

And now... PRAY

This book is getting more interesting now that the author has reached India.

Until part II (India), I'd been a bit disappointed in the inanity of her tale in Italy centering on food. Food is not a passion for me. However I do admit I've rather enjoyed the experience of reading of her gastronomic adventures as I am myself sitting in the Italian Cafe Amici a couple of doors down from my apartment building. To hear the Italian being spoken in the cafe and partaking of the food as I read brings the story to life for me.

I like this quote she pulls of St. Augustine as she is speaking of the yogic path:
"Our whole business therefore in this life is to restore to health the eye of the heart whereby God may be seen.
Also from the book:
The classical Indian sages wrote that there are three factors which indicate whether a soul has been blessed with the highest and most auspicious luck in the universe:
  1. To have been born a human being capable of conscious inquiry.
  2. To have been born with-or to have developed- a yearning to understand the nature of the universe.
  3. To have found a living spiritual master.
For the most part I am in agreement with her treatise on yoga and spirituality though I have doubts about her emphasis on meeting a living guru to catalyze one's spiritual awakening by mantravirya: "The potency of the enlightened consciousness."

No comments: