When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hubble humbles

Ernie mentioned at yesterday's Taichi practice session that I ought to make time to take in the IMAX show at Darling Harbor entitled Hubble 3D. When the view from the Hubble telescope is cast on the largest IMAX screen in the world in 3D, "the sight of the universe will blow you away"

My old friend Vevek is visiting Sydney for business and I invited him to stay the weekend with me before he returns to Singapore. We both decide to take the short walk to the harbor from my apartment to investigate Ernie's recommendation.

The show does not disappoint except for the finiteness of its own reel. The ability of this powerful telescope to peer into the farthest reaches of outer space or zoom into the intimate depths of a single nebula is mind boggling. The overwhelming sight of the billions of galaxies extending for billions of light years in all directions makes you realize how utterly naive it is to believe we are alone in this Universe. On one hand, the magnitude of the controlled explosion lifting the shuttle into the heavens instills a strong sense of pride in the human race; while on the other hand the infiniteness and scale of everything beyond the atmosphere of our home planet quickly remind us of our humility. When it's over the crowd is speechless, one can sense that there has been an emotional impact. Some even are compelled to clap.

No comments: