When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Monday, March 22, 2010

Fresh Eyes

A customer holds the door open for me with a warm smile as I step into Starbucks . I've been carrying a sense of displacement to get here. I'd driven self-consciously on the road, trying not to offend anyone with any of the poor driving habits I've acquired from KL. As I approach the counter, I ask for an oatmeal and order a mocha from the cheerful blonde. I also ask for the nearest AT&T and 3 people chime in including the brunette woman standing behind me in line. I feel as though I have stepped onto a staged performance of some kind, I am not accustomed anymore to such an outpouring of assistance.


As I sit at the table listening to a tune by Nina Simone while sipping on my mocha, I feel a strong sense of gratitude and love for this country and it's people. We may share different opinions and outlooks but in that moment it didn't matter one bit. I find myself saying outloud "I vow to return America". Someday... No sooner than I think that do I overhear another customer at the counter "It's good to be back home. I agree with her and wonder at the same time 'Is this my home?'. I don't know... And then it hits me, the reason for my sense of displacement... this trip marks the end of the longest period that I have been away from North America in the past 17 years. No wonder everything that is different from where I have been seems so highlighted.


I step outside Starbucks and pause to take in the fresh sweet air, the sound of birds chirping and the distant hum of a lawn mower. The casual unhurried demeanor of the people. A man chats candidly on his mobile phone, the sky is clear blue and seems to stretch for endless miles. Ahh... the space and freedom before me, another surge of gratitude takes me as I step towards my car.

No comments: