When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Gathering Winds of Change

I am at the car service center working remotely on my laptop while awaiting the maintenance of my vehicle. On a whim I log into my personal email account to have a brief look.


There is an email from a former work associate; the last email we had exchanged was almost 4 months ago. I had initiated that exchange to formally declare my interest in working with his company X, a multinational Canadian company that is performing very well. I was hoping to be based in Sydney since that's where he worked out of. It would also be a great step for me professionally since it would be an increase in my role. He said that unfortunately they were in a hiring freeze but would keep me at the top of his list.


My finger instantly clicks the email and it takes me a couple of moments with my mouth open to grasp the meaning though it is short - "Are you still interested in working for X?". Waves of euphoria hit me. I have this knowing that finally this is the long awaited payoff to the gamble I had taken in giving up my job and life in California two years ago. I quickly respond "This is wonderful news! How soon do you need me?". We agree I should start after my trip to the US, sometime late April.


The rest of the day is spent floating, there is a looseness in me. By the end of day, I feel completely spent; I attribute it to strong overdue relief. I come home from work and fall asleep almost immediately. As I do so, I think with a smile, "that yogi guy was right after all"...

No comments: