When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Meeting Tom

It was a long and arduous flight to get this far but finally I am in LAX (Los Angeles Airport) having cleared customs and immigration. Air China was the airline and I've plumbed new depths of discomfort traveling this low-cost carrier. I spent one night in Hong Kong, I stayed at the Marriott near the hotel. The food was expensive but my instincts were correct when I ordered the assorted Indian curry platter - it was perhaps the most gratifying Indian meal I've ever had.


I am fumbling with my luggage and wallet looking to get some coins for a phone call to alert Tom to my arrival when I hear "well, well, well..", I look up and it's my dear friend Tom standing before me. As usual my reply is facetious, "Hey man, what are you doing here? Just doing your usual rounds around LAX picking up strangers?". It is wonderful to be in his company again.


Perhaps no one else has taught me the value of friendship other than Tom. His willingness to go out of his way for his friends has re-written my book on human nature and relationships. Tom also mentioned before that also he regards me as a role model of sorts with my drive for continuous learning, risk taking and perspective on life. This relationship is one that I cherish highly. He is family to me.


We drop off my luggage at his home near the airport and then proceed to Mr.Cecils. A hole-in-the-wall diner that serves quite honestly the best ribs in town. I attack the enormous BBQ beef ribs with gusto, I've been deprived of a meal like this for far too long.

No comments: