When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Pappa Rich

Today a funny conversation occurred at my favorite cafe - "Pappa Rich". This place serves a variety of local type noodles, but I am hooked on the various servings of toast and their organic soy milk is the creamiest and tastiest in town. I also enjoy the steamed bread with kaya

In Malaysia there are many foreign workers who perform menial labor. It seems the best foreign workers for waiting on tables come from Myanmar. They are polite, smile a lot, take pride in their job and they work hard. However there is the language barrier issue, those that speak limited english tend to be difficult to understand. This morning I wanted peanut butter toast with some organic soy milk and a middle aged woman from Myanmar stood by to take my order as I looked over the indexed pictures in the menu. The conversation went:

Me: "I'd like the peanut toast and..."
Lady: "Penis"

I pause... and wonder if my fly is open.

Me: "I'd like the peanut toast" (this time I point to the picture in the menu).
Lady: "R-10. Penis!"

By now I gather that she is saying peanut toast but it sounds exactly like... well....

My friend who was away from the table returns to put in her order. I can't help it, I point to the menu and say out loud "Do you want penis?" Her mouth gapes and she exclaims, "what did you say??". I glance at the lady with the notepad and she doesn't even twitch an eyelid.

2 comments:

Ymous Anon said...

Australian customs are notorious for their meticulous inspection at the airports.

"Sorry sir, the contents of that package may just be penis but we still need you to unwrap it for our inspection"

Enjoy your stay in Sydney :P

aaron said...

:D