When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Blavatsky Lodge and creative spirit

I am supposed to be in Canberra right now to do some work for the Australian Federal Police at their headquarters, but my flight on Qantas was cancelled this morning. I'll fly out tomorrow instead. It works out much better actually, this is yet another travel arrangement in recent times to undergo revision due to unforeseen circumstances, the result of which works out happier for me than the original plan.

The other revised travel plan was my trip to India for the yoga retreat and trekking in Rishikesh. The rescheduled time plan permits me instead to be on-site in Singapore to undergo some valuable mentoring with a colleague from Europe in October AND it allows my good friend Tom in California to join me and my parents on the trip to India. That plan is now taking form between Rajasthan and Kerala instead of Rishikesh. I'll still bring my yoga mat along.

Being in the vicinity of the city today, I decided to meet Ernie and Horacio for lunch at the Theosophical society in the city. As part of their plan to meet there, they were to attend a lecture given by the visiting Director of the Emily Sellon Memorial Library in New York - Michael Gomes. The speaker is also scheduled to give the same talk at the University of Sydney this Friday. This talk concerns Madame Blavatsky, the namesake of the Blavatsky Lodge, where the Sydney Theosophical society is situated. The Theosophical society in Sydney seems to also go by the name of the Blavatsky Lodge, I haven't quite determined the reason for the duality.

This Russian lady seems to be a fascinating character whose ideas apparently helped usher in the New Age and catalyse the spiritual revolution taking place nowadays. She is the instigator of the modern Theosophical movement. And yet she is not without controversy concerning some of her actions which tend to be judged as trickery in spite of which she has profound insight into the metaphysical nature of our existence and our purpose. From the little I know of this person she reminds me of the Indian astrologer that I ran into months ago in Malaysia. He was both a messenger and a charlatan, and why can't one play both roles.

What stood out for me in his lecture was our individual role as the creative force through which the divine continually expresses itself. We are here to create and experience; it is our choice to do so in alignment with the creative force or against it. Certainly seems to be a theme resounding within me lately, in fact I am even asking myself of my creative role in revising the travel plans such that my stronger/un-conflicted desire is fulfilled. If you entertain the notion of multi-worlds then certainly this is feasible, if you have been exposed to Dr. Thomas Campbell's 'My Big T.O.E.' then this is not just possible but actually likely. To what extent are we given the room to create our reality? If anything is possible, then what prevents there truly being multiple worlds, is there just one playing board or are we each given our own?

If we look at various proposed interpretations of of quantum physics, which is the most sound theory in physics such that it forms the basis of all physics and hard science, there exists one interpretation that is given more and more credibility; and of which speaks of multiple worlds whereby all possibilities of the quantum states are expressed. It is a proposal that seeks to reconcile the randomness of our conscious creation. In other words, if a photon in a state of superposition i.e. existing as both a wave of probability of states AND a particle at the same time, can collapse to a particle upon our observation and be regarded strictly as a particle henceforth i.e. given a physical reality, then what is it that ultimately determines its location given precisely equal probability of us observing it in for example two places. Physicists are inherently uncomfortable with unexplained randomness, this discomfort is expressed by Einstein's famous quote - "God does not play dice". Therefore the multi worlds theory says that ALL possibilities are expressed and this is tantamount to saying multiple realities exists in parallel.

Before I moved to Sydney I had never heard of the Theosophical society but it seems fated for me to discover it since I've been assigned this apartment downtown just down the street from it.

On the back of the brochure I find this:

THE THEOSOPHICAL SOCIETY has Three Objects,

1. To form a nucleus of the Universal Brotherhood of Humanity, without distinction of race, creed, sex, caste or colour.
2. To encourage the study of comparative religion, philosophy and science.
3. To investigate the unexplained laws of nature and the powers latent in the human being.

I especially appreciate the third object on the list.

The motto of the Society is There is no Religion higher than Truth.

As I listen to the speaker I notice on the table near me a brochure about an upcoming series of lectures called "Realizing The New Age - From Madame Blavatsky to Julia Roberts", I pick it up wondering what Blavatsky has in common with Julia Roberts. And so on the back of this brochure I read:

Thirty years after the publication of the 'New Age' bible, "The Aquarian Conspiracy' by Marilyn Ferguson in 1980, people are flocking to join the Hollywood icon Julia Roberts on her movie spiritual journey in 'Eat Pray Love'.
Ah... it's that book again which admittedly I have neglected for over a week now. But this seems further affirmation that this book has an important role to play in the current spiritual renaissance. I should pick it up again.

No comments: