When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Thursday, September 16, 2010

EAT PRAY LOVE

I have been hearing many times now about this book. I see it in bookstores but have never given it a second glance, I understand it to be something of a spiritual journey of a woman but most likely watered down or packaged for a mainstream audience which means it will likely not have much wisdom in it. Sort of like... The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari which to me reads like someone's efforts to write a book in order to place himself into a Ferrari. The last time I heard of it was from the manager of the travel agency downstairs from my workplace, I had stepped in to buy my ticket to India. She cautioned me ,as others did, that it's a girly book and most guys wouldn't read it. I confess I've read the Confessions of a Shopaholic so surely I can stomach this, if nothing more it would be an interesting peek into a girl's mind to suit my desire to see into the mind of a woman.

I sit down in the Italian restaurant down a couple of doors from my apartment downtown. It is just a small cafe run by two Italian guys but the food is divine. I download a sample of the book into my Kindle e-reader and read the introduction. One of the Italian guys puts down a fried fritter of some sort, "it's a fritella" he announces in his sing song Italian. "It's complimentary, Bon Apetit!" I consume it with relish, it's marvellous. I swallow the last piece just as the author of the book reveals that the first stage of her journey begins in Italy concerning the pleasure of eating. It's sign, this is practically "God" grabbing me by the collar and shaking me "Read the book!", you're in an Italian restaurant eating and next month you're going to be learning yoga in an ashram - just like the character in the book does! READ THE BOOK! And so I order the full download of the book before one flies out of the air and hits me in the head.

No comments: