When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Push Hands

On Saturday I take the bus to Horacio's home in the suburbs. We sit on a couple of chairs in his backyard which actually a common backyard for the row of modest single bedroom apartments in the block. I am struck by the freshness and splendour of the bougainvilas in full bloom, interspersed by his collection of potted bonsai plants. It is early spring but it seems to be in full swing here. I am thrilled to be here because I get to practice the art of Pushing Hands which is an application of TaiChi with a partner. Most people only learn the solo form but the hidden martial applications can only truly be expressed with a partner, Pushing Hands also cultivates an acute level of awareness and understanding of Yin and Yang. Two people stand facing each other and perform offensive and yielding moves in what appears to be an ebb and flow, each seeks to upset the other’s center and then deliver a maneuver that neutralizes the opponent. The key is to remain fluid and to attach oneself to the other’s energy so as to frustrate his attacks. It takes many years to master.


Horacio by his plants

No comments: