When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Back to Basics

Today I took a train to spend the day with my aunt, uncle and cousins.  My aunt babysits on the side for the local residents of the apartment complex here.  Some of whom are quite belligerent being on the resident committee.  Outside on the common patio where some of them are having an impromptu gathering I can hear the impassioned discussion of action items to take against the management and it sounds like a rallying cry for a Jihad.  I decide to distance myself from the group and sit here in the living room with laptop and some down tempo music.  

One thing I enjoy about coming here is the re-immersion into the regular family life of which I surrendered in large part 17 years ago when I moved to Canada without my family.  Today I sat down with a family at a dining table, conversed about mundane topics, watched some television, made friends with the neighbors 7 year old daughter and got better acquainted with my cousin Rynna's 2 month old baby boy - Raiedy.  

For 10 minutes I sat on the bed and put on my friendliest face for my newest relation; in return Raiedy put on an award winning display of baby charm, easily winning my heart over with his jerky arm and leg motions that seemed to serve absolutely no purpose.  During this session, Raiedy also showed me a technique of making someone fall in love simply by grasping their finger and making cooing sounds.  Though very useful, I undoubtedly shall have to practice that one repeatedly.  Was I ever as yielding and assuredly worthy of love as this little fearless warrior?  




1 comment:

Me said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE this post. It's beautiful. Every single thing about it.

Miss you my friend...

=)