When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Friday, August 8, 2008

A fierce combatant

In the night I dreamt an enduring dream.  I was battling fiercely with a fearsome fighter of superior caliber.  I did not know this fierce combatant nor did I know why we were fighting other than I sensed that he was in my way.  For a long time we were engaged in a furious flurry of sharp blows, parries and counter-strikes.  Despite my best attempts I could not outwit nor hurt my opponent, I realized with mounting dread that this fighter was far superior.  Actually, this was no mere mortal I was fighting, he seemed to be some sort of deity.  My intensity waned as I tired, in a last ditch effort I threw everything I had at my opponent with fierce vigor, yet to my dismay every single strike was masterfully deflected.  Drained of my offensive spirit, I then resigned to simply defend myself.  As I ran out of fresh ideas I grew desperate, "how do I defeat this opponent???  Every tactic is futile".  In response the crazy answer instantly flashed in my mind; and as his arm thrust at me in mid-strike I simply dropped my arms in surrender bracing for the blow.  It never came.  When I opened my eyes I saw myself alone with my way now unimpeded.  That is when I awoke.  

No comments: