When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Monday, August 25, 2008

A Free Lesson

Today I threw a major rant against God which is typical whenever things go bad in series.  It occurred on my way downtown to receive my shipment from California.  I had been keeping them in storage until a place to move the items into became available.  I was upset because I was late, and I was late because though I had caught a cab early I had to return home midway to retrieve the keys to the apartment that I was moving the items into.  To make matters worse, the cab driver couldn't wait for me after he dropped me back in MidValley because he didn't have enough gas to get downtown at that point.  So I had to get back in line for a cab again... and by the time I got to the apartment downtown what had been 30 mins early had become 30 mins late.  


Why was I upset with God, well because I was supposed to be more capable of living life with each step along the Bright Path.  The logic being with less mental clutter comes clarity of thought, and therefore correct action.  Instead I could see my parents shaking their heads at me in chastisement, "See?  You still haven't learned to do things right."  But as it tends to be with events we judge as bad and consequently make us angry or fill us with guilt, with more time comes understanding so that eventually a different opinion evolves.  Often we even become grateful.  In this situation a long time was not needed to realize how my anger and fears were unjustified, when I got there instead of finding an upset crew of shippers I received a message telling me that they weren't arriving for another hour.  And so I received a harmless but effective lesson in prioritization and yet another reminder to surrender to events that I can't alter.  Hey maybe this was my first mini miracle...??


As for my possessions from California, each one of the 73 pieces made the journey.  But, two of my cherished major items of furniture took a bad hit.  One was a copper top half moon table that now looks like a 2/5 moon table and the other was some surface damage to a double dresser.  I was overall pleased to see that my furniture complimented the new apartment very well.  I guess it was the right decision not to sell off everything as I had originally intended to do.  Whoever rents the place will be thankful as well.  


I'm sitting here on my bed and I'm feeling a certain sense of peace that had been missing for many months now since the day I put my items in boxes and watched them loaded onto a truck.  Wow, it sure feels good to delete this spot of worry in the back of my mind.    

No comments: