When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My birthday

It is my birthday today. In the morning I walk 10 minutes into town and find an appealing cafe with a healthy bustle of breakfast activity.  I sit down and peruse the menu when I overhear the girl at the table next to mine announce it is her birthday.  I turn to tell her that it is mine also and we exchange conversation briefly, she and her female companion are from the UK.  I say how lucky we are to be in Queenstown for our birthdays and in her case to also share it with a friend on this day.  When my food arrives I enjoy a grilled fish in hollandaise sauce.  It is truly tasty. 

Mervin and Jules invite me to go with them to Skippers Canyon for a jetboat ride.  I decline for two reasons, a bouncy boat ride would not be the right thing for my back a day before I begin a multi-day trek; and secondly, I have not made the hut bookings and transportation arrangements nor packed my gear.  These activities consume the bulk of my day.

1 comment:

M.Ng said...

Surprise discovery when intend to spend a quiet birthday alone, good one!