When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Around Auckland

The past 3 days have been largely devoted to short trips around the city of Auckland, I visit the waterfront and am struck by how much this section of the city resembles Vancouver's waterfront where in both places there is a quay from which various ferries run.  The streets of Auckland allow the pedestrian a lot of personal space, there are simply not that many people compared to other major cities.  At one point as I stand at busy cross walk and hear a rather girlish scream as a man falls from the Sky City tower with a cord attached to his ankles.  Bungy jumping is huge here in NZ and the downtown core is also a qualified arena for the sport.   Just outside the city of Auckland, there are a few small parks on hills which are actually craters from which offer lovely views of the city.  There are many craters, and much geothermal/volcanic activity throughout New Zealand.  



Auckland's prime bungee jump - Sky City tower


My back has been strengthening and today I feel capable of a sustained walk without too much discomfort.  Vivek and I drive 45 minutes southwest of Auckland to a coastal area known as Piha where there is a conservation area known as Arataki nature reserve.  Here The Waitakere ranges hug the coast and offer stunning seaward views.  Since there is limited daylight left at the time, we decide to take a short 1 hour trek on a nature trail near the visitor center.  In this place I am struck by the diversity and density in flora.  I am mesmerized and my senses bask in this feast, I have not been so keenly attuned in many months.  Later on I come across a massive Kauri tree, it must be a thousand years old and I stand in awe.  I place my hand on the bark and then I feel the impulse to hug the tree.  This is something I have not done before and part of me feels foolish but doing it I perceive a certain omniscient wisdom in this tall majestic tree.  It feels cleansing of sorts to embrace the trunk.  A couple of minutes further up the trail I see a sign that speaks of Tane Mahuta - The God of the Forests and how his spirit is found in all living things.  Small wonder that the Maori natives believe this.  



One of a variety of ferns

The ancient Kauri tree

No comments: