When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I Dream of Tennis

Last night I had a tennis dream.  I have not had a tennis dream in months, I think this one was inspired by recent improvements in my game because I have been having regular tennis coaching twice a week.  Tennis dreams are awesome for me, some people get excited dreaming they've won the lottery but for me nothing tops sharing the court with a tennis great such as Roger Federer or Rafal Nadal.  In my dream... 

I am playing tennis at an indoor exhibition event against the Spaniard Rafael Nadal and I am hitting winners against him.  The crowd is amazed at the unranked underdog giving the number one player in the world a hard time.  But alas, Nadal's superior shot making ability and greater experience allows him to prevail and snatch the first set from me.  Then for reasons unknown to me, I leave the venue to go buy new tennis balls.  On the way back I get lost and I frustratedly try to return but keep ending up at the wrong place, eventually I make it back but now I have forfeited the match.  Nadal offers a few words of consolation to me briefly and I can tell that I have earned his respect.  I think to myself, " I can't believe I just played against Nadal, wait till I tell my buddy Greg about this!!"  

Then it hits me that this is too good to be true and then the revelation strikes me in my dream that I am dreaming.  I hate that realization when it happens, it is heart wrenching.  

More on tennis...

For Valentine's I received a gift from my friend S, it was one of the best surprises I've had in a long time.  It is the same shirt that Roger Federer wore to the recent Australian Open, ok well not precisely the same shirt but the same model.  I admire Roger Federer a great deal, he is undoubtedly a mentor to me.  The next day I show up on the tennis court wearing THE SHIRT.  I play amazing tennis with the shirt.  I can actually FEEL like RF, I move on the court like he does and hit some amazing shots.  I actually wonder if the guys are noticing that I am so much like RF right now.   

Later that day I show up at the Nike Store in MidValley.  "Show me everything you have that RF wears".  The salesgirl directs me to the tennis section and the rack is full of different shorts and shirts, at the end I recognize the same shirt I own.  She points to it, I am a little annoyed to learn from her that this is all they have in their selection.  "What about these shorts?  She pulls out a hideous blue pair, "Rafael Nadal wears these".  I barely control a neutral tone replying curtly "no, thanks.  I'm only interested in RF's stuff."  I learn that the entire rack except for the one shirt on the end is Rafa's items.  "Maybe you have his shoes?  I ask hopefully.  No.  Boxers?  No.  Anything with his initials on it?  Not even.  Last year it was different, this year... all because The Rajah lost the Australian Open and Wimbledon to Rafal Nadal and is no longer #1. 

No comments: