When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Letter to a child

I watched the movie Benjamin Button twice.  I wouldn't say it's a Blockbuster or a classic but there are some scenes that are quite moving.  The movie is about a man that ages backwards, he is born with an old form and then grows younger instead of older.  It is a lovely idea because it compels the viewer to reexamine the beliefs and attitudes they have that comprise their life.  Towards the end of the movie is a letter that is written to his daughter.  It touched me a great deal with its simple honest summation of the man's life experience so I found the quote and am posting it here:

"For what it's worth: it's never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

2 comments:

Marian Dean said...

Thank you for the quote. It stirred me deeply as I had been having a few regrets of late. I tell myself it is no use having regrets about what you can't change, but to try and change what next I do, so that it doesn't give one regrets again.... I feel a bit rambled this morning....
I shall look out for this movie. Thanks.
Love Granny

aaron said...

I appreciate your comments :)