When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Friday, February 27, 2009

The New Zealand itinerary starts to take shape

I am in the process of forming a rough itinerary for New Zealand in April.  I'll be on the South Island most of the time, the terrain is more rugged and breathtaking on the South Island.  I'll be using Queenstown as my base of activity.   

I've been researching New Zealand.  And I've learned that there are 10 sheep for every person in New Zealand, so that's 70 million sheep roughly.  Also, New Zealanders love the outdoors and adventure, I believe bungee jumping originated from the South Island and there is a relatively new fad I've heard about today called Zorbing that also originated from New Zealand (www.zorb.com).  I just had a discussion with a coworker who's done it, apparently you can put soap and water inside along with yourself.  Useful if you've ever wanted to know precisely how your laundry feels when you stick it in the washing machine.   

For me, I'll be doing more trekking.  Perhaps a camino New Zealand style?  New Zealand prides itself on it's natural heritage, it has 15 National Parks that cover roughly 10% of the country.  The government has organized 9 'Great Walks' to cater to tourism mostly.  You can read about them here:  New Zealand Great Walks  Mervin and I will do at least two of them.  If we can swing it we'll also do a 'Great Walk' on the North Island that is actually a four day kayak.   

Of the two confirmed, this is one: 

                             Milford Sound (4 days)


and this is the other: 


                                   Routeburn Flats (4 days)

I'll also spend about a week in Auckland on the North Island to do a job hunt. 

No comments: