When I go out to meet the light, the shadow of my body follows me, but the shadow of my spirit precedes me and leads the way to an unknown place
- Kahlil Gibran

Friday, February 20, 2009

My hiatus

There were months of inactivity on my Blog.  From September until February.  During this time I struggled to maintain my outlook on life as one of adventure, discovery and creation.  I didn't feel compelled to share this little downturn in my life and certainly it didn't seem to fit under the title of my Blog.  I know I can create this perfect job for myself in New Zealand because I did it here in Malaysia though had since slipped out of my grasp and in retrospect as I mentioned in a previous post, perhaps I needed to learn to be ok without it first.  

When I spent the first half of my time here in Malaysia, I didn't pursue a job search and folks would ask me why I wasn't looking for a job.  I didn't feel a strong desire to do so because I could still sustain myself without one a while longer and I was enjoying the vast free time to pursue my own interests.  My response was on more than one occasion, "I'm not looking for a job because the right job will come to me."  I left it at that, without a thought about how that might possibly be.  And yet it did happen that way.  I got an email from someone who knew someone that I had distributed my email address to at a work convention months back.  He was a Regional Director for a company that fit my profile very well.  He told me that he would like to meet me at a location that unbeknownst to him couldn't have been much closer to my residence.  It was literally across the street.  The perfect job had come to me.  It was a senior position, a career path, overseas postings on projects, they would train me... I was offered a contract but I waited too long to commit to it because I held out negotiating for a better compensation package.  In the end,  by the time I agreed to it they had frozen their hiring - the global financial crisis had hit.   

My morale was crushed for a long time, and I became embittered.  I would have been fine if I hadn't gotten hooked onto this carrot dangled in front of me.  It was a sudden and dramatic turn from gratitude and wonder to anger and resentment.  Two months later as my savings ran low, a different worthwhile job came to me in October and I'll be doing this work until the end of February.

During the months of December and January, I returned to California and Texas.  The family had gathered in my younger brother's home in Plano, Texas for Christmas and then we did a road trip through the cities of Texas - Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Houston.  The time spent in California was apart from my family in order to spent it with the dear friends that I had missed for so long.  That was very fulfilling; however there was one dear friend that had moved to Seattle.  She had been a big part of my experience in California and left an indelible impression in my life.  There are some people that give your outlook on life a good wipe down and she also added a lot of good memories to my collection.  I'm certainly not the same person because of her.  

Another thing that happened during this time - my Godmother succumbed to cancer.  

No comments: